// Latest Entries
- BOOST…the high performance L.E.I rocket!
- Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus – now in 6.0m!
- Yusca & Timo’s trip around the world
- Flysurfer Kiteboarding – Prepare to …
- Speed4 Lotus 6.0 out now!
- Caribbean Kite Trip (Grenadines)
- WISSA 2015 – World Ice and Snow Sailing Championship – SONIC-FR 2nd
- Zanzibar 2015 – by Kite4Fun
- (Deutsch) Flysurfer sucht Verstärkung
// Follow Up
Marseille kite Race 2013 / French hydrofoil and race championshipd.M.Y:
From 1st to 5th of May 2013, report by Gael Pouchin
During the past years traditional race boards and hydrofoils were racing and classed in the same rankings. In 2013, The French Kite Class association has decided to split the two fleets and promote the two different sport types on different rankings.
Over the past few years, hydrofoil performance has significantly improved. This new gliding / flying sport is not only a superb light wind weapon but a real racing machine with unbeatable overall performance. The following crazy characteristics can easily be achieved by the best riders.
- 40-45° Upwind angle with an averaged riding speed of 15 knots
- Maximum speeds of 30 to 35 knots (crashing at such a speed is a bit painful considering that hydrofoilers are flying at 80 cm above the water surface.
All along the five days of the competition, we had the chance to race over the wonderful bay of Marseille: Long upwind leg up to the If’s castel and long reaching leg to the “pointe rouge”.
The young blood Nicolas Parlier (son of the famous sailor Yves Parlier) dominated the competition by winning almost all races. He managed to arrive 4 minutes ahead of Julien Kerneur (also riding an hydrofoil) and more than 12 minutes ahead of Bruno Sroka who was riding a conventional race board.
After a disappointed 18th place on the first race, I was gaining progressively good places and managed to climb up to the 11th place overall (7th in open category). Most of races were launched with 10 knots (or less) of wind and I was equipped with a custom hydrofoil and the Speed3 15 CE Deluxe. I was also able to use the brand new Speed4 8 Deluxe thanks to the seabreeze.
The whole range of Flysurfer speeds are upwind machines and have good power to obtain good downwind angles. The combo Speed Hydrofoil / Speed3 or Speed4 is just perfect for racing!
Go on the water and train, this will be my motto for the next few weeks. This is the only way to be ready for the hydrofoil world championships in Dubai in October.
Flysurfer – everyday is a kiteday!